Proverbs 3 : 4 “Let not mercy and truth go from you; let them be hanging round your neck, recorded on your heart; so you will have grace and a good name in the eyes of God and men“
My physical husband is full of mercy. He selflessly shows loving kindness to everyone he meets. He has a good name in our community and his moral compass is well aligned.
I always feel so humbled that my heavenly Father would bless me with such a godly man. Growing up, I was surrounded by some very dysfunctional relationships. I was always worried about having a lifetime of relationship stress and difficulty. By God’s mercy, it didn’t turn out that way. Don’t misunderstand me, my husband is not perfect, but he is perfect for me and I would like to share what it’s like to be on the receiving end of his daily mercy.
I am an average woman and a devoted mother. I have emotional ups and downs. I am full of passion, which means I love fiercely, but I also have a temper. I struggle with finding enough time and energy to complete everything on my to-do list. When I am tired, I get cranky. I am not the easiest person to live with. Sometimes I don’t even want to be in the same room as myself. Through all this, my husband loves me and supports me. This is what his mercy looks like:
- A hug when I’ve had a hard day
- A fresh pot of coffee waiting for me when I wake up in the morning
- A thousand things left unsaid (because it’s not worth causing a trivial argument)
- One thing kindly said (because it needs to be addressed to maintain a healthy relationship)
- Several text messages sent throughout the day because he wants me to know that he thinks of me
- Sincere apologies when he has hurt my feelings
- Accepted apologies when I have hurt his feelings (without guilt trips or grudges)
- Patience with my follies and emotional moments of weakness as I grow in the grace of God
I could go on and on, but I think you get the picture. My life is so peaceful now because of that mercy. I don’t have to worry about much because I have been blessed with a companion who makes my life so easy.
Imagine how wonderful life will be when we are the Bride of Christ! Our very merciful Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ is preparing the marriage supper for us. He will be a loyal, loving and just husband with a good reputation. He will forgive our sins and welcome us to the home He has prepared for us. What peace He will bring us! What kind of spouse and companion do you desire to be for Him?
That character is being developed now. You have the ability to choose how you will react to the humanity of others around you. You have an opportunity to be a light and a comfort to them. I pray that you will seek to be merciful and upright and that you will be blessed with the companionship of others who are merciful too. For more on this subject, download our FREE booklet How to Build Godly Character.
Love, MOM xox